Handhelds in Teaching and Learning

Tony Vincent's blog for his graduate class exploring the educational uses of handheld computers.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

ADT & HTML

Here's the article about ADT I referred to last week. Do the symptoms sound familiar to you? Read a Chicago educator's blog posting about ADT.

...and this is long overdue. It's a primer for linking to web pages using HTML.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger Glenn Hervieux said…

    At times at school, I have to respond to so much stimuli that my mind does dull. I find that names escape me and my mind needs more time to process questions and information. My ability to respond to my students is more limited than in the AM. My mind is having to respond to significant demands and tires. I recognize that I'm distracted by the overstimulation of student needs and teaching tasks. In my school, I'm asked to multi-task...I don't just teach. Neither do most teachers I know. Teachers are being asked to process more and more every day, as well as our students. If we want to call it ADT or something else, it doesn't matter. The discussion of the symptoms and how to manage them is what is important.

    The information our students are being asked to process is also of a more complex nataure than when I was in elementary school. I mean, think about it. Did you have to worry about algebraic equations in word problems, or the voluminous social studies content, or in 5th grade the complexities of cells and the Periodic Table??? I wonder if what we're seeing as far as distractibility has to do with the overwhelming nature of creating meaning of all the content and visual & audial stimuli.

    Just trying to organize and teach the content in a meaningful way is an awesome task. Hmmm...I wonder if that has anything to do with teacher burnout and the increased feelings of inadequacy in not being able to meet the "new" standards??? In the quest for helping students reach higher standards of achievement, have we sacrificed quality, in-depth learning for overwhelming information literacy?

    In regards to ADT, I know I have to battle the distractibility. One of the important tasks I believe of teachers is to put technology into the hands of students and help guide them in how to use it. Do we overstimulate students with technology? I don't think that we do by putting a handheld, digital, camera,laptop, or video camera into their hands. They process the use of technology differently than those of us born before 1980 or so. It is a part of their world. However, I have seen students struggle with the addictive qualities of technology...email, Xanga sites, blogs, chat, GAMES,...Perhaps that is part of the problem of students NOT being able to work effectively in class when there are less stimulating activities that require disciplined focus and effort. Hmmm...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home